#RPGaDay2016 Day 11 - Which gamer most affected the way you play?

Tod Gelle (who works for Fantasy Flight Games) ran two separate games in which I actually played the same character in the two totally separate campaigns and systems.

This was back before the d20 craze, somewhere in the later '90s. Yes, that does date me. The first game was one of the original versions of Deadlands and the second game was Werewolf: Wild West. So the two games had a lot in common right out of the gates. While everyone else was min/maxing the numbers to get the deadliest combo and toughest characters, I was over here making a feeble doctor-type with very little weapon skill and far better suited for the city life. It was a gamble and maybe a passive aggressive statement against all the munchkinism going on in my group, yes. But the result was that Tod as the GM rewarded me and my character with more spotlight time than was fair. I suspect it was because he found my character the most interesting rather than a concious decision to reward my decisions. But none-the-less, it taught me that age old lesson that flawed characters are far far more fun to play.

 

I had forgotten about that bullet hole through the Werewolf book. That was kind of cool!


Comments

Popular Posts

Labels

Show more