#RPGaDay 2017, day 2 - What is an RPG you would like to see published?

...but too lazy to do it myself.

That's the tagline for this question. I've always wanted to see a retro-clone appear for Top Secret/S.I.

I know it's a game that is far from perfect. There are many other games that have come after that do what it did, but better. And I suppose a lot of my passion for it is nostalgia. And perhaps that is enough, but I will always carry a soft spot in my heart for this old RPG. Most games are probably flawed. And many games have been honored with retro-clones. So why not this one?

There have been some that came pretty close, but not hitting the mark, games that have come up all around this:

  • James Bond 007 got theirs- Classified. An excellent update to the wonderful James Bond RPG.
  • Covert Ops - This game spun out of Barebones Fantasy and is very very very close to TSSI, but I think it carries a lot of Star Frontiers mechanics, so its not directly retro-cloning.
  • Top Secret: New World Order - Also not a retro-clone. But rather a new edition! However this edition has a completely new and different game mechanics, from what I understand. Very much looking forward to it.


I've actually made feeble attempts at starting my own retro-clone of TSSI. Even thought of a name for it...
Live and Let Dice.


Other angles to this day's question could be as follows for me.

  • I would like to see Spycraft 3rd Edition published. Waited far too long for this game.
  • I would like to see a new line of Basic Roleplaying books published. Not sure what's happening with Chaosium, but BRP seems to have been put on the back burner lately.
  • I would like to see more projects similar to the upcoming Dungeon Fantasy for GURPS. I hope that wasn't a one-time thing!
  • I would like to see a generic rulebook for the Vortex System someday. 
  • I would like to see a generic rulebook for the Ubiquity System someday. Look at FFG, take note of Genesys, people! I would have listed that, but now I don't have to! That wish came true!
This post became a spewing wishlist. Sorry about that!


Comments

Popular Posts

Labels

Show more